Monday, October 31, 2011

Leadership Connectors: Putting It All Together

When I first began the book Leadership Connectors, I framed it in the sense that these would be great skills to hone for the future, for when I become an administrator. What I didn't realize until a couple of chapters in is that these strategies and skills are useful for everyone. These aren't simply skills that a leader needs, or that an administrator needs. These are life skills that everyone need in order to build relationships, both personal and professional.

The six keys to building relationships are not isolated skills only to be practiced and utilized within the walls of a school or business. They are the tools and raw materials to be used when you are building the foundation for relationships. The authors highlighted each "connector" using a story of an administrator named Jeff as he enjoys his retirement dinner after 35 years working in schools. He reflects on his own experiences both before and during the dinner, aided by the stories told by people with whom he's worked. It's a motivating story, an experience I hope to have many years from now. It's both exciting and nerve-wracking to think of stepping into the arena of administration, but I do look forward to it.

To recap, the six keys, or leadership connectors, are:
  • Communication
  • Support
  • Safety
  • Competence
  • Continuous Renewal
  • Trust
You need them all to build successful, effective, interdependent relationships. Use them wisely.

PS: If you know me at all, you know I'm just dying to draw some sort of graphic organizer or diagram to display these six keys in a fun way. I'm sure you can picture it :)

1 comment:

  1. I can see your cute graphic organizer!! After reading this blog I totally see how this book plays into our life more and the relationships that we build. Admin is a scary world but building a foundation with these principles will put us on a great start.

    ReplyDelete