Monday, December 12, 2011

The End.

"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."
- Winston Churchill

Though we have come to the end of this Master's program (phew!), I do feel more like it is simply the end of the one journey and the beginning of another. I have been able to work with and learn from so many incredible people through these last eighteen months and I am grateful for it. I feel a great relief that the homework and assignments are coming to a close, but I also feel a sadness because I have enjoyed spending time with the people I have met because of this program and I will miss seeing them as often as we do now.

Today marked the final assignment in the last class, a mock interview with a Central Valley Superintendent. I'll admit that I was both looking forward to this and dreading it. It was a bit nerve wracking sitting in the chairs outside the interview, waiting for my turn. However, as soon as I sat down for the interview, I felt relaxed and ready to begin. I really appreciated the advice and candor I received during the interview. It was much easier and relaxed situation than I had anticipated. It allowed me to both feel the pressure of an interview for an administrative position, but also support in his feedback and comments. It was a very valuable experience and one that will definitely stick with me.

Finishing up this program has led me to reflect on everything that I have learned and accomplished, and all that is still out there. I have enjoyed the journey, even if it was ridiculously overwhelming at times. I want to show special appreciation for:

- The Sanger Cohort: I've built valuable relationships with a fantastic group of people - brilliant leaders and incredible educators. I've also appreciated the feedback from my blog group - thanks!

- Thought-provoking assignments: From the Education Platform to our very first assignment regarding our views of diversity, the assignments in this program have resulted in me becoming much more reflective.

- Great new books on the shelf: Though I can't speak for everyone, or for every book, there were a number I enjoyed quite a bit: The Speed of Trust and Leadership Connectors especially.

- Supportive professors: The professors in the program both supported and challenged us. Thank you, especially, to Dr. Buster and Dr. Wise.

So....while this may be the end of one chapter, it's most certainly the beginning of another....though I can't wait for a nice three week break in the mean time :)

- Katie Hirstein

1 comment:

  1. Nope, not the end! Don't think we won't be after you for the doc program once you've had a short breather, Ms. Hirstein!!!

    ReplyDelete