Monday, December 5, 2011

This is the end (almost!)

With two of the last assignments turned in to my final course in this Master's program, the end is getting more and more tangible. The last few weeks have passed in a blur, and I can't wait I am able to relax and breathe. We have a final activity - a simulation interview that I am both nervous and excited for. Then, that's all. 18 months have seemed to both stretch on forever and pass by in the blink of an eye.

Two of the final assignments for EAD 269 were a Growth Plan and the Capstone Paper. The growth plan was interesting to consider. I found it hard, at first, thinking of specific areas I want to grow in within the scope of leadership and administration. I continued to think of myself as a teacher, until I began to think of roles and responsibilities that I have now as a teacher that also lend themselves to leadership and administration. I focused on building my capacity as an instructional coach, first within the scope of my grade level PLC and then, perhaps, extending to others. It was beneficial to be able to develop specific steps with a goal in mind.

The Capstone Paper was quite a culminating exercise. It brought back everything we have talked about in the course by looking the lens of current reality vs. desired reality. The ability to reflect on the changes we'd like to see at our school and how to go about making those changes was really a helpful task.

The courses in this program have taught me much about the importance of a strong self of self, especially in terms of intent, integrity, capabilities, and results. I believe the amount of self-reflection that I have participated in, as well as practicing and honing the skills needed to build trust, have helped me to become a true leader. While I may not have all the experience that I'd like, I do feel that I ready to embark on this journey.

Here goes nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment